Monday, August 11, 2014

Ideas for using Tour Builder

This summer I got lots of free time and I finally caught up with my "teaching english" blogroll. Having found, no doubt, plenty of useful tips, I moved on to my "technology" roll. And here I discovered a brand new world :) The most relevant blog was Richard Byrne's Free Technology for Teachers that reviews and publishes updates on many useful class apps, gadgets and programmes. Now that I have time before school, I'm spending hours exploring websites, creating projects and generally playing around with different web-tools.
Here is one that caught my attention: Google Maps Tour Builder. First of all, Richard has written two very useful posts here and here with educational how-to video, and I recommend everyone to read it and watch it. On my part, I've been thinking how I can use it in an esl classroom and came up with couple of ideas.

Why can it work:

  • it's relatively easy to create
  • it incorporates pictures, text and maps
  • it can take a form of a lenghty project or light homework

Uses for the classroom:

Here are couple of ideas I sketched out.

1) How I spent my summer.
Instead of asking questions on the first lesson after summer break, ask your ss to prepare a presentation of their summer that can include pictures and comments from them.
Here is the example I have created about my summer.
2) How I spent my year.
A variation of the previous idea. Ss need to create a map of all the places they visited during the year. Good as end-of-the-year activity.
3) Story of my life. The logical continuation of  the previous two. Ss need to show all of the places they have visited starting from the place they were born in. Good for teenagers as they don't usually travel as much during the year.
4) Tour of your street. If you have a lesson on home, streets or local sights, you can incorporate this project in the lesson.  Ss need to tell the story of their streets, the building, places they like going to etc. The good thing about this idea is that it allows ss to work in groups.
5) Tour of your city. An obvious idea but variations can make it  more exciting. For example, ss can choose their favourite places in the city or hidden, non-touristic sights.  It also can take a form of a group project.
6) Book travels. Ss will need to create a map of the travels of the main character. Good if you're using graded readers and books in the classroom.
7) My future travels. Ss need to imagine where they want to go, research the information about these places and put it on their maps.

Some stuff to think about:

  • with technology you have to make sure that everyone understands how to use it. So before assigning the project,  I would first give them a how-to video and my example to study as a homework. 
  • how to present finished project. Will they show it only to the teacher (boring) or share with classmates? Now it seems ideal to make a presentation in class for everyone, but my class is not equipped well enough for that.
  • how to grade it. It seems reasonable to introduce rubrics to make it easier to assess project like this.


I'm currently thinking about the first project and how to implement it smoothly in my class. So I'll keep you updated on my work. Have you used this tool before or have you got any ideas on how else to use it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment